A lot of people ask me quite often, “What can I do for breakfast on the paleo diet?” Believe it or not, eating breakfast on the paleo diet isn’t all that hard at all. In fact, I’ll show you how easy it is. Here are five great paleo breakfast meals:
1. Homemade Granola
-1 ½ cups almond flour
-1/3 cup coconut oil
-2 tsp cinnamon
-2 tsp nutmeg
-2 tsp vanilla extract
-½ cup walnuts
-½ cup coconut flakes
-¼ cup hemp hearts
-sea salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients and mix well.
3. Spread mixture into a single layer on a greased baking sheet.
4. Bake 40-50 minutes. Mix every 10 minutes to ensure even baking.
5. Remove from oven and cool before serving.
2. Breakfast Burrito
-4 eggs, separated
-1/2 finely chopped onion
-1 to 2 finely chopped tomatoes
-1/4 cup canned diced green chilies
-1 red pepper, cut into strips
-1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
-1/2 cup cooked meat
-1 sliced avocado
1. Whisk the egg whites
2. Warm a greased 10-inch skillet. Pour half of the egg whites in the pan, swirling the pan to spread the eggs evenly. After about 30 seconds, put a lid on the pan and cook 1 minute more. With a spatula, transfer the egg white to a plate. Repeat with the rest of the egg whites.
3. In the same pan, sauté the onions for one minute then add tomato, green chilies, red pepper, cilantro, and meat.
4. Whisk egg yolks and add to the other ingredients.
5. Spoon half of filling onto each egg white and add avocado. Roll the egg whites into burritos and top with salsa.
3. Sausage and Sweets Breakfast Bowl
-2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and julienned
-1 medium chopped yellow onion
-1 lb sweet Italian sausage
-4 sprigs parsley
-2 tbsp. maple syrup
-sea salt to taste
1. Peel and julienne the sweet potatoes.
2.Dice the onion and apple.
3. Cook crumbled sausage in a medium hot cast iron skillet.. Add onions and cook until sausage is browned and onions are soft.
4. Add the sweet potato, apple, maple syrup, parsley and sea salt and pepper. Cook on medium until the apples and sweet potatoes are soft.
4. Breakfast Skillet
– 3/4 lb. steak, cubed
– 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
– 1 each small red bell pepper, small green bell pepper, small white onion chopped
– 2 Tbsp. bacon fat
– 1/2 tsp. sea salt
– 1/4 tsp. black pepper
– 6 large eggs
– 1 small tomato, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Melt 1 Tbsp. fat in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook until browned and set aside.
2. Add the remaining 1 Tbsp. of bacon fat, onion and bell peppers and cook 5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and cook until tender.
3. Add steak to the skillet. Remove from heat and with the back of your spoon hollow a place to crack each egg, put tomatoes slices around the eggs, and sprinkle the skillet with the sea salt and black pepper.
4. Place the skillet in the oven and bake 12 minutes. Remove and serve.
5. Pecan Flax Pancakes
-1/2 cup coconut flour
-1/4 cup flaxseed meal
-1/4 cup tapioca flour
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/4-1/2 cup pecans, chopped
-3/4 cup coffee, cold
-1-2 tablespoons butter
1. In a medium size bowl combine coconut flour, flaxseed meal, tapioca flour, baking soda and 1/4 cup pecans.
2. In a small bowl combine eggs and coffee.
3. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and stir to combine.
4. Heat a griddle or large pan over medium heat and melt butter.
5. Add pancake batter to skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes per side. Repeat until all batter is cooked.